Login In

Or registration require if you don't have an account

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

Lost your passwords?

Lost Password

Please enter your username or e-mail address.
You will receive a new password via e-mail.

Registration

Please enter below information

You will receive a temporary
password via e-mail.

Advent Devotion "SENT" – Day 21

• Create by: Hungsu Lim

[Advent Devotion] Day 21 “Glorious and Beautiful”

“Make sacred garments for Aaron that are glorious and beautiful.” (Exodus 28:2 NLT)

In the Book of Exodus, God is very specific about the details of worship for the wandering Hebrews. The instructions regarding the portable worship center have been established, and now God turns his attention to the leaders or priests who will guide the people in their worship. The principle that the priests’ sacred garments are to be glorious and beautiful guides every detail that follows. Because the God they were worshiping is glorious and beautiful, their clothing and behavior needed to follow.

In our day of casual attire in worship, the distinguishing “marks” of a cleric or pastor have been all but lost. Some would argue that this is a bad thing. Like the priests’ garments in Exodus, the clerical collar or robe helps to “set apart” ministers and religious leaders. Others would argue that this “set apart” stuff hinders the priesthood of all believers.

I’m not sure who is right. I have chosen the more casual way, not necessarily for theological reasons but for comfort. But I do find it ironic that if church people ever do see me wearing a suit, I get lots of comments—from “Boy, you clean up well!” to “Wow, you should do this more often!”

When I view Exodus 28:2 from a “new covenant” perspective, I remember that Jesus is our high priest. One commentator wrote that the glorious and beautiful priestly garment in this verse reflects Jesus’ glory and beauty, which he took off when he came to bring salvation to the earth.

Now let’s make it personal. We are challenged by Romans 13:14 to “clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ” (NLT). And in Galatians 3:27, Paul reminds us, “All who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes” (NLT). When we put on Jesus, we put on his glory and beauty. Any glory and beauty in our lives comes from the One who took off his glory and beauty so that he could rescue and heal this sin-sick planet.

Any glory and beauty in our lives is because of Jesus’ glory and beauty shining through our brokenness. Today and throughout this season of Advent, let his glory and beauty shine!

PRAYER: Glorious and beautiful Lord, shine through my life today, revealing your glory and beauty. Amen.

(from “SENT: Devotion” Week 5 – Jesus Changes Everything by Jorge Acevedo)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.